November 19, 2019, PTSA meeting minutes,
I-Prep Academy PTSA
Meeting held in the I-Prep Upper Academy Cafeteria
Meeting was called to order at 5:02 pm and a Quorum was established.
1. Welcome by Ms. Diaz, Asst Principal (Lower Academy)
2. Administrative Update by Ms. Diaz, Vice Principal (Lower Academy) – Ms. Gonzalez, Vice Principle (Upper Academy)
• Thank you for the donations of toiletries – We paired up with Miami-Dade Homeless trust and they will receive all items by November 26th.
• Police Presence – If you have noticed an increase in police presence throughout the school do not be alarmed. Officer Hart is training about 7 officers currently and you could see as many as 30 officers at one time.
• Drive-thru Lot – Please make sure that you do not get out of your car in the drive-thru lane. This is for the safety of your children. Please have all backpacks and lunch bags in the seat beside your child. We have staff that are present and able to help.
• Safety and Security – Parents we need your cooperation in not walking through our hallways during school hours. You may not sit in the clinic or wait by your child’s classroom door. If you need to use the restroom you will usually be sent to the clinic. Please inform office that you are going there and please limit your time in the bathroom to under 5 min. The clinic is used for sick children. If you are chaperoning for the day please wait in the office until you are called on or the teacher comes to get you.
• Lost and Found Items – Make sure to label all your kids belongings so that items can be easily returned to your child.
• Lottery process – the lottery continues to be open. Magnet Applications will be from October 1, 2019 until January 15, 2020. We already have over 2000 applications for PK-10th. Please choose up to 5 schools per application.
• Holiday Shows –
PK 12/17/19 @ 9:00am
Kindergarten 12/17/19 2 11:00am
3rd Grade 12/17/19 @ 1:00 pm
1st Grade 12/18/19 @ 9:00 am
2nd Grade 12/18/19 @ 11:00 am
5th Grade 12/19/19 @ 9:00 am
4th Grade 12/19/19 @ 11:00 am
• MYA District Writing Field Test – December 3rd for Grades 4-6th. This test will be used to assess newly adopted writing prompts which may be used on future assignments.
• I-ready Diagnostic Assessment – December 12-20th.October
• Thanksgiving – We have so much to be thankful this Thanksgiving. Know that we are thankful for your support and partnership.
• Thank you – Thank you to all the parents that came our for Parents Night Out (PNO)
• Technology (Middle School) – As with all technology, some of the devices have had to be sent off to be repaired. An order for additional devices has been placed. Until we get our laptops returned, and /or the new ones delivered. Some students are using devices from other classrooms. We are ensuring all students have access to a device.
• Academics – Math tutoring is available every Tuesday/Thursday from 3:00 – 4:00 pm with National Honor Society and Math Society kids helping. Mid-year assessment coming up in December and January. MYA District Writing Field Test is December 3. I-ready assessments December 12-20th (Middle School). Please communicate specific concerns of your child’s progress you’re your teacher and counselors.
• Next Admissions Tour – Wednesday December 4th at 9:00 am.
• Homecoming – November 22d
• Thanksgiving Drive – Monday November 24th
• Ugly Sweater Dance – Sometime before Christmas
• Toy Drive – 5th through 12th grade. We are helping the Boys and Girls Club along with local churches. Please bring any toy for a boy or girl.
3. Ratification of September 24, 2019 PTSA minutes, which were posted on the iprepptsa.org website and were ratified and approved by a vote of members.
4. Treasurer’s Report/PTSA Budget 2019-2020, Jocelyn Bagge
• On hand $30,397.21
• Jocelyn gave the break down on how much money we made off of Harvest Fest 2019.
• 6 month extension granted to file last year’s tax return. Our new due date is May 15, 2020.
• Change on Signatures to PTSA checking account. Authorized signatures on the account are Jessille Starkman, Jocelyn Bagge, and Christine Gay.
Mr. Carvalho stopped in to the PTSA meeting and asked if anyone had any questions. No questions asked. He asked how we raised all the money. We told him it was our Challenge to Change fund raiser that we held last year.
5. Report of Audit Committee on 2018-2019 PTSA Audit – Report by Aileen
• Committee consists of Gabbie, Aileen and Maria. We have finished the audit and everything is very accurately recorded. Thank you to Jocelyn and the PTSA for keeping accurate records.
• Recommendations – maybe use Quick Books
• PTSA Memberships – We need to have a form and a way to pay for PTSA memberships online. Someone recommended MemberHub and that it was free.
6. Guest presentation by Aileen Fan – How to Improve, prevent and reverse nearsightedness. She has written a book on 20 natural ways to improve your sight without glasses.
7. Upcoming Events – We need Volunteers
• Pizza Friday’s – we need your help please sign up or use the sign-up genius.
• Winter Holiday Shop – December 11-13th. Will take place in the same room that the Book Fair takes place in. Great inexpensive gifts for brothers and sisters and grandparents.
• Challenge 2 Change (Color Run) – End of February or first of March.
• Spring Picnic – February 29, 2020 Virginia Key
• Parents Night Out (PNO) – April at the Wharf
Ivo – Student Representative let us know that he feels the HIP organization is not working.
• We spoke briefly about how we can make improvements so that maybe they could have updated topics that would be more relevant to students.
Meeting was Adjourned at 6:10 pm